Dear Readers, I have been working overtime to focus in on the big Fall colors for you. Color forecasts, runway shows, magazines, retail lines… All the usual sources (of joy). When I realized I was having an exceedingly difficult time whittling down, I came to the conclusion that this year brings the largest variety of trends I have ever seen. A HAPPY HODGEPODGE.
We have dark/moody/Victorian, gentle/buffed/earth tones, retro/glamour/pastels, & high-voltage/neons. Color is all over the board. One consistency I can report, is that we are pairing quiet with loud. Dark with light, neutral with bright, smooth with rough. Opposites Attract- as Sherwin Williams appropriately named their 2013 Color Forecast.
I can tell you personally, I have been favoring gentle wall color this year. Light and dark, relatively neutral. Leaving the statement up to collaged decor, including mixtures of old and new, unexpected combinations, natural materials, mixtures of pattern and texture, tattered surfaces, and imperfect lines.
And finally, pulling through this intriguing plethora of possibility, are the Color Zen Top 5 Picks for Fall 2012.
1. Shades of blue! The exclamation stands for excitement. I can’t remember the last time I was into blue/blue? Gray-blue, cobalt, indigo, and deep murky teal. I think the blue is mixed perfectly in this room by BHG.
2. Green accents. Less lime, more true. Olive, kelly, grass, and pale organic shades. The color most of my clients love. Always fresh.
3. Violet. Just a touch. Plum, electric, lavender, gray-violet, and periwinkle. The color of the imagination.
4. Red/Orange. Need this chair from World Market :) Loving shades of warm red this season. Again, just a touch. Like a towel in a neutral bathroom. Tomato, vermillion, and coral.
5. White. Really? Yes! I actually believe white is the next big neutral. Be careful, it’s tricky. Linen white and cream, keep it warm. I love Benjamin Moore’s swiss coffee, seashell, and seapearl.
So there you have it. More peacock than turkey for you this season. What colors are catching your eye?
(thank you BHG, BHG, shelterness.com, World Market, and Coastal Living for the photos)