5+ years in business and we’ve stepped into many homes. Hundreds… And thank you for having us, each home is special.
Lately I’ve been thinking about themes. Patterns, reactions, and observations that repeat often. Design lessons- which updates have the most impact, which materials date the fastest. On a much grander scale- life lessons. Working with people from all avenues of life.
Feelings upon walking into a home. What makes you want to stay. Those exceptional days when I visit a client, have a profound conversation, and think… I’ll never be the same (in a good way).
All of this has happened, so I wanted to share some thoughts and advice…
1. Decorate for you. Not for fear of judgement or to satisfy anyone else. Well maybe your husband/partner is an exception. I‘ll give you that ;)
2. Beautiful surroundings make people happy. I see it everyday.
3. Size does not matter. Some of the most delightful places I’ve visited/colored/designed are very small.
4. Cheap things can look fantastic. Be creative.
5. Your personal touches, especially hobby and travel related items, make your home outstanding. Conversation pieces- there is something to that phrase! Just a few items.
6. Your energy makes your home. Boy has this one taught me a lesson…
7. Children and pets are beloved. If nothing else is in order, the kids have cute bedrooms and the dog has a cozy corner. I love it…
8. “Open to change” is my favorite client. As you can imagine there is an entire range from very resistant to 100% roll with it. The roll with it people get the best results! I once had a couple in their 80’s in this category = awesome.
9. Keep the remodel surface materials as “timeless”/ “classic” as possible. Layer the personality on top with art and accessories.
10. Tell your designer the truth. Like. Dislike. Not sure. Direct is best.
11. Tile stores remind me of candy shops. You’re wowed by color, texture, and pizazz. But be careful… those tiles date really fast!
12. Sample your paint. Please….. slap that color upon your wall. I can call out the right color but the shade must be tested. Your lighting chemistry is the wild card.
13. Too perfect is too perfect. Everyone needs a messy closet or 2. Or a home that feels livable.
14. A little old-fashioned hospitality is so nice. Takes effort but leaves a lasting impression.
15. I’ve never walked into a messy home. I picture the frantic cleaning session the night before- we all do it, ha ha.
And there are many more… Cheers Readers!
(thank you centra-homes for the image)